Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Growing Virginia Creeper

 Virginia Creeper is a joy to grow or a nusience it depends how you look at it. Virginia creeper's leaves are made up of  five leaflets, dark in colour in summer and change to a reddish colour toward the fall. It blooms little white flowers  but showy dark blue berries.

Virginia Creeper Growing conditions: Virginia Creeper is tolerant to shade but thrives best in full sun to get the brightest fall colour. it must also be grown in well drained soil.

Planting Features:Virginia Creeper is mainly grown for that spectacular fall colour show. It can also be trained over arbours and trellises.

Main Drawbacks:
  • Virgina Creeper should not be used to grow on buildings as they grow stick trendels that grab on to a serface and not let go also these plants are not good  to grown in trees as they will suffacate a tree and kill it. trellis and arbours are best suited to this plant.

  • A small population of people may be irretated from this plants oil. It is NOT POISENOUS like poisen ivy. (I am highly allergic to poisen ivy ) this plant does not bother me when I prune it.
Terminating the Virginia Creeper: If you are contemplating terminating this vine you should hack it off at ground level and spraying the fresh cut wounds with round up. verginia creeper has a underground root system that grew just as vigously underground as it did above ground. Like I stated above its one of those plants that you could love or despise it does depend on how you look at it  I love mine its fall colour is worth the hassle. Happy gardening! I would love to hear from you in the comment section.

Blessed Be,

Lady Mairead


No comments:

Post a Comment